I just got back from the recent Planet Shakers conference that was held at the Sunway Piramid Convention Centre from the 1st – 3rd Dec. It was a different experience for me because I was there as a volunteer along with Vijay, Raj, Seong, Mark, Deric, Win Nee, Samuel Ng, Grace Goh and Raymond as Security Personnel. Raj was security chief. I was assigned under VJ along with Seong to secure the backstage throughout the conference. That meant we had the opportunity to witness the band from up close…closer than many others. Our job was to restrict people from accessing the stage and from getting too close to the VIPs. Now isn’t that cool…
A Security Personnel
The day before, I drove deric, mark and seong up to Puchong where we lodged at Grace’s house. On the first day of the conference, we had to be there at 10 to attend a briefing for volunteers, get our Tags and CREW T-shirts. The registration only begun at 3pm so we kinda had ample time to ease around. Half of the security personnel were from Sabah, so we were working with them closely. I wasted no time to get around the stage and watch the Audio/Visual people set up their equipment. I have never seen such complicated wiring. The PA was huge…they hung gigantic speakers from the ceiling and 8 woofers for bass frequencies(4 on each side).
Mike Webber
Vj and I were juz observing when the drummer Mike Webber came in to set up his Yamaha drums which they borrowed frm Planet Shakers City Church in KL. For me and Vj, it was an experience I will remember…there he was, the drummer that every youth drummer in Malaysia wanted to emulate…setting up his gear. Much to Vj’s delight, he was using the same Iron Cobra peddle as he was…hahaa.. Now I know that Mike is sponsored by Yamaha drums and Sabian cymbals…he threw away his old snare skin and vj picked it up and kept it for himself…and had it autographed later…we were all waiting for him to play something…some sort of anticipation for us musicians…we striked up some conversation with him…evidently the equiptment they were using is world class. Mike was the earliest. Of course we all were waiting to catch a glimpse of Henry Seeley.
A couple of hours later, the rest of the band showed up. Of course seeing them in person was a larger than life experience. Henry plays Fender guitars. They were rehearsing for the concert later that night. By then it was around 5-6 something and the crowd was growing outside.
Face to face with Henry Seeley
Then it happened around 7.30…something that I will remember. The band left the stage via a back entrance. I was hanging around there and watched them leave…juz sitting there chilling. Suddenly a pastor came up to me and asked. ‘Security ?’..and I said, ‘yeah’….and he said, ‘can you please escort Henry Seeley to the VIP lounge’ and there I was face to face with Henry…Creative Director for Planet Shakers and song writer whose vocals crooning in every CD that has been produced by PShakers since 2000…I was liked…’hi henry…’ and he said…’hey. Hi…what’s your name?’
I was thrilled but I only one problem….where the heck was the VIP lounge…man…I was so embarrassed…so I led Henry as far as the registration counter and I had to seek directions…The crowd was everywhere but I don’t think they saw Henry. After getting Henry to the VIP room, I was kinda down coz I didn’t know the directions…but it was a learning experience…
Speakers.
We had Russel Evans, his wife Sam Evans, Matt Fielder, Neil Smith, Mike Guglielmucci all of them pastors as speakers for the sessions. I think for me, it was has been a long time since I sat and listened to people so passionate about Youth Ministry and about God. At the moment my church back home is undergoing a transition period and the youth department is in the ‘waiting’ period…and I haven’t been there for some months. So to sit and see pastors so passionate about winning the souls of the youth was very….i needed to hear that and listen and ponder about how passionate I am about my generation…and what can I do to be in there…during one of the sessions, we had an altar call and we had to body catch hundreds of people…and it was something I never experienced before. youth in Malaysia are the next generation and we must invest in them. (we had 860 daytime delegates)
Workshop
I attended the worship workshop by Henry. Through out the entire conference, I could feel God’s presence throughout the concerts and sessions. So I have to say that the band has earned my respect in this area, that their focus is not on them, but in worshiping God and they said many times that it wasn’t about the band or the music. I was kinda ticked when some ppl commented that they saw better musicians than them…coz they missed the point. During the Q/A session, someone asked Henry’s opinion about rock music and some leaders said UNITED LIVE were bad and were gloiyfing themselves. It kinda ticked Henry off coz he knew the Hillsongs ppl personally and testified seeing God’s presence in their meetings. Mike Webber prayed for them and the leaders of their church (the guys who asked the question). I liked the way Henry always emphasized on the importance of relationship among band members…how they got involved in each others lives. How it was more important to strike up a conversation than plugging in a microphone. I agree with him that it’s important to seal that relationship among band mates so there’s no sense of offending anyone during sessions coz they were so close to each other…I liked how Mike webber said,’ I don’t play drums…I worship God…it’s my part to play in the band to usher in His presence’ ...and this is coming frm someone who has the skill and experience and the technicality that most of us haven't attained yet.(check out his bio at the website)
Concerts and the BAND
Obviously the highlight of the conference were the nightly concerts that were open to the public. On the first night we had about close to 1800 people. And on the 2nd night about 2300. On the last night the hall hall was jam packed with about 3300 people. The band played some old songs like Reflector, Open Up The Gates and I See Heaven. They did play solos and did the classic ‘Enemy’s Camp’…most of their songs were from their latest album, ‘All That I Want’ which I think will be hitting the stores soon…I bought it and had it autographed.
>(THIS IS MIKE WEBBER) I really like the album, and I think it’s an improvement to the previous ‘My King’. The album is the live recording of this year’s Planet Shakers in 2004. To listen to them via album is one thing. To hear them live is a different experience…all the energy and the passion let loose in abandon in worshiping God…with people swarming to the stage and jumping. What you hear is what you get…with almost the full band there…Like I said I could feel God’s presence and anointing throughout the concerts and sessions. As I was guarding the stage, I could see the huge crowd with their hands lifted high in reverence and worship. I knew that God was moving and speaking to his people. There may be many Christian bands out there, but not many who can really minister in worship excellently. The band were passionate about worship and it showed and flowed out into the crowd. for more of the band...visit: www.planetshakers.com.my
The Band:
Henry Seeley (Worship leader and guitars)
Sam Evans (Worship leader)
Mike Webber (drums)
Mike Guglielmucci (bass)
Matt (guitar and vocals)
Mike ‘Rudy’ Nickkerud (keyboards, vocals and bass)
Alex Seeley (henry’s wife) (vocals)
Home
Personally, I did not manage to get into all the sessions because I was preoccupied as a security volunteer and it consumed a lot of energy. But I know one thing, that God’s presence was there. And I am challenged to make a difference with my life. To be radical in my following of Jesus. As I sit here and struggle with issues in my life…I know that God requires us to live and believe in His plans for us. Me and Tze Seong agree on one thing…’the real deal isn’t in the conference, nor is it the PS band… it’s when we’re back home in Melaka and when the rubber meets the road…how do we live our lives’. Right now I’m thinking…how can I serve God through PG165? If one person can impact a generation, how can I be that person.
p/s hope i can upload some photos when i get it. for more info on Planet Shakers in Malaysia and the band that came...visit : www.planetshakers.com.my
No comments:
Post a Comment